Here are some guidelines about prevention of hearing loss:
Immunization of adolescent girls and women in child bearing age against Rubella is important.
Rubella can cause hearing loss to the child.
- Ear Hygiene:
- Maintain good ear hygiene:
1. Keep the ears clean, free from dust, water, wax etc.
2. Do not clean or scratch your ears with pointed objects like matchsticks, hairpins, pencils etc. It can rupture the eardrum or injure the ear canal. Avoid slap or blow to the ear as it can cause a hearing problem that may be irreversible.
3. Keep a watch on young children playing with tiny objects like beads, seeds etc. If they put them in the ear, the eardrum may get ruptured or the ear canal may be injured.
4. Do not put oil or any other liquid in the ear as they can result in pain, swelling and ear discharge. Keep your ears dry always.
5. Do not swim in dirty water. Unclean water entering the ear can cause ear infection. While swimming always plug your ears with cotton, especially while diving. This prevents the water from directly entering your ear and rupturing the eardrum.
6. Do not have your ears cleaned by roadside quacks. They use unclean instruments, which may cause infection. The eardrum too may get damaged. Clean your ears with cotton buds regularly or get them cleaned by a doctor.
Avoid using unwashed pillow covers, towels, etc., used by a person with ear discharge. This may cause infection in your ear too.
7. While feeding a baby keep her head raised otherwise milk may enter into the ear cavity (through the small passage connecting the throat and the ear). It can cause pain with swelling and ear discharge.
8. Avoid exposure to loud sounds.
9. Do not take medicines without the doctor’s advice.
10. Use ear protectors while working in noisy places.